mike hide

Default Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

"David" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:30:21 -0800, David wrote:

It's also at completely the wrong angle.

I'll put the cutting quality of my jointer up against anything in it's
class, so I DON'T think honing is a "bad" idea, as you suggested.

You'll no doubt also be interested in a tub of my Patent Anti-Elephant
Omnibus Discouragement Dust. I sprinkle it out of the windows every time
I travel by bus and have yet to be plagued by elephants. It obviously
works perfectly.

I hone my jointer blades on the machine, with a diamond hone. But I do
it with the machine very much off, and I use the correct angle for the
blades, not a tangent.

tangential, when applied to a .002-.004 distance, does not affect the
quality of the edge, my friend, your preconceptions notwithstanding.

Dave

A joiner with that kind of geometry is called a burnisher .....mjh