John Girouard

Default Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

David wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:30:21 -0800, David wrote:

It's also at completely the wrong angle.

I'll put the cutting quality of my jointer up against anything in
it's class, so I DON'T think honing is a "bad" idea, as you suggested.

You'll no doubt also be interested in a tub of my Patent Anti-Elephant
Omnibus Discouragement Dust. I sprinkle it out of the windows every time
I travel by bus and have yet to be plagued by elephants. It obviously
works perfectly.

I hone my jointer blades on the machine, with a diamond hone. But I do
it with the machine very much off, and I use the correct angle for the
blades, not a tangent.

tangential, when applied to a .002-.004 distance, does not affect the
quality of the edge, my friend, your preconceptions notwithstanding.

Dave

Not picking sides or anything here, just truly curious. Wouldn't what Dave
is talking about doing result in pretty much the same thing as micro bevel?

-John in NH