foggytown

Default When did SHINY become COOL

Wood use probably began with fallen tree branches/limbs tied together
with animal sinew or hide strips. Then some bright neo-wrecker thought
the branches used inside would look different (even better) if the bark
were stripped off. Then scraping the wood with a rock produced a
smoother surface. Then wiping crushed berries over the stripped branch
produced "colored" wood. And on . . . and on . . . and on . . .

I'd suggest it has all been a steady progress towards the general
"beautification" of mankind's surroundings and possessions. Shiny
objects attract the eye and are often considered to have a certain
aesthetic quality whereas dull objects are usually considered to be
utilitarian. (Gross generalization, I know.)

FoggyTown