Charlie Self

Default When did SHINY become COOL

s wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:19:18 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
news:f05b7$436ac117$cf6730b7$25062@allthenewsgrou ps.com...
Hello charlie b,

You alluded to one reason, something shiny was harder to come by so it
indicated the owners wealth. One other reason for the preference of shiny
surfaces occurred before electirc lighting. A shiny surface reflected
more
candle and fire light than a more dull surface. Shiny tables, chairs,
etc.
made a room look brighter, although probably not too much, when the room
was
lit by just a few candles or a fireplace.

shiny is associated with clean. dull is dirty.

shiny is also associated with greasy. dull is clean.

Grease has a sheen, I think, not a shine. A bright, scrubbed, shiny
look is often associated with a clean person. What is that character in
Peanuts...Pigpen. He must be dull, a matte finish, as it were, with the
cloud of dust that follows him around.

Piano finishes are shiny, so that even the black pianos seem to glow.
Put grease--fingermarks--on a piano and it looks dirty, even if the
fingermarks themselves are shiny.

I'm not sure what the allure of shiny is, but cleanliness in matte
finish is a only a tiny part of the whole context...think of the chrome
(stainless steel) on your car. When that's shiny, it's clean. When it's
dull, it's dirty--or badly worn. Of course, today we have a lot of
nickel satin finishes and titaniumgray finishes that are dull and clean
and look pretty good.

Ah hell, I've just foncused myself.