Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
nk.net...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
I'm no mathematician, and have a hard time understanding almost all of

this
conversation, but to illustrate a point (if only I knew which
one!)---

----the .458 Magnum I own develops 2-1/2 tons of energy at the
muzzle,

Harold, "tons" is not a unit of energy.

assuming a maximum load with a 500 grain bullet. It stands to
reason that there's hardly a man alive that could withstand that force

on
his shoulder and survive, let alone still be standing. My rifle does

NOT
have a muzzle break, and develops 80 foot pounds of recoil (about triple
that of a 12 gauge shotgun) , at least according to the things I read

years
ago. It doesn't knock you down. Not unless you're an idiot. :-(
Please, don't ask.

Harold

I think I'd better kill this thread before I get ingestion from the all
the missuse of terms. :-) :-)
...lew...

Patience, lew, I'm a machinist, with no education. Maybe I should have
said that the .458 has 5,000 lb/ft of muzzle energy---dunno-----(but it
sounds like 2-1/2 tons to me)-what really matters is that you get an idea of
the performance of the weapon. Use some Kentucky windage, just as I do
when I must endure comments from those that don't understand machining the
way I do. I may not converse as if I'm a rocket scientist, but when it
comes to chasing that internal thread, you can damned well trust what I have
to say. You don't have to be smart to be a good machinist, something for
which I'm very grateful.

Harold