Jerry

Default Using Central heating WITHOUT fernox inhibitor

"Kevin Brady" wrote in message
Couple of months back I had to drain the CH system to remove an existing
radiator and cap off the flow & return, while extension works (new
kitchen) are being carried out. When refilling the system, although I had
a bottle of Fernox (about £15), I thought I wouldn't put it in for a
couple of months, until I had refitted the radiator and added one in a new
location, which would involve draining down alll over again, and wasting
the inhibitor.

With the colder weather upon us, the central heating has been switched on
again and it's going to be another month or two before the radiators in
question are reconnected. How long is it acceptable to run the system
without inhibitor in it. If necessary I could put it in this weekend, but
if it's not reeally necessary for a couple of months then I'll wait.

Thanks

--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford

When I tried using Fernox I had nothing but trouble. The sealing washers on
the radiator vent valve fittings all disintigrated over a period of time and
started seeping. I drained the stuff out and re-filled the system with
fresh water. My understanding is that a given volume of water carries only
so much oxygen and once it has reacted with the inner surfaces of the
heating system then no further corrosion can take place anyway.

Jerry