RonB

Default Your kickback experience

I will give you three. Two that have happened to me during 35 years or so
of table saw use. One very serious one that happended to a friend of my son:

1) Many years ago I got a piece of 1/2" plywood (about 2' square) crossed up
in the table saw that WAS fitted with a splitter. I think the mass of the
plywood just overpowered the splitter and pawls because it lifted off of the
table and a corner of the piece hit me in the chest. Hurt-no band aids.

2) About four years ago I was cutting ripping the edge off of a piece of 2x
about 1-/2' long and got a kickback (no splitter - shame!). I saw it coming
and stepped aside. The piece of wood flew about 10' across the garage and
ended up hanging from a hole in the sheetrock. Could have hurt real bad.

3) I have posted about my son's buddy a couple of times since it happend
last spring. He was planing some thin stock in a surface planer. They
don't know exactly what happened but a piece of stock, apparently about 1"
square and several feet long, got past the rollers and impaled him in the
abdomen. He ended up with much of the stock protruding from his back.
Luckily it missed most organs but did nick an intestine. He spent quite a
bit of time in the hospital and as of a month or so ago he was 'almost' back
up to speed. Unusual but rest assured this could happen with a table saw
too.

RonB