Frank Boettcher

Default Your kickback experience

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 03:25:37 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

Before you read this, please understand I am not asking if it's OK to be
unsafe and have a kickback incident, I just want to know what really
happens to us all.

A post about a year ago from me describes a kickback incident I had that
hurt pretty bad. The board didnt break the skin, but blood finally made
it to the surface of my gut the next day. I never want to have that
happen again, but a recent post titled 'Table saw wood splitter/anti
kick back question' made me wonder what people are actually referring
too when they say stuff like "it'll eventually get you".

How many people here have had a significant kickback incident?

How bad was it? Was it just a 'put a bandaid on it and get back to
sawing' incident or a 'Im not sure I ever want to touch a tablesaw
again' incident? Was it really a life threatening issue?

Mine was a 'put a bandaid on it' (plus a new pair of undies) incident.
A year later and I'm still ultra careful and hate to think what would
have happend had my gut been my head in that instance.

Thanks,

Mike

I've had two, both my fault, not the equipment

Late at night wanted to make just one more cut. full bevel cut on a
right tilt and I was just a little too lazy to change the fence over
to get the tilt going away from the fence. Trapped piece kicked back,
caught me in the side then traveled another ten feet and put a deep
ding in a solid ply shop door. Bruise on my side lasted for weeks.

second was on a planer. Put a piece in that was too short for the
machine. Kicked out and turned the feed hand black and blue and
unusable for a week or so.

As mentioned, I knew better in both cases. Wasn't the fault of the
machines, simply operator error.

Frank