Leon

Default How to make divided light cabinet doors?

"David Eisan" wrote in message
t.ca...
Leon,

What exactly is your question here David? What part has you stumped?

The part that has me stumped is how to handle the intersection/overlap of
the muntin bars. In a two over three cabinet door I don't want to 5
separate
bars, I want three. In my mind I cannot figure out how to do a half lap,
it
seems like an impossible joint/puzzle with profiled bars. I don't want
just
a butt cope joint at the intersections, I would rather have the bars go
from
side to side, top to bottom. I plan on mortising the rail and stile and I
am
going to do the same with the muntin bars into the rail and stile as well.
want a strong door.

Did I explain myself well enough that you understand my dilemma?

Absolutely David.

OK, I see your situation here. I have never done half lap intersections but
have seen illustrations of this procedure and it is indeed some what
complicated compared to simply making more of the same joints that you use
to make the outer frame of the piece. That said, I always make the same
joints that I do for the framing rail and stile members. I find that with
all that exposed surface that the joint is plenty strong.

Experiment with simply building a test piece with the joints all fitting as
they would on a normal rail and stile door. I think you will find that the
strength is adequate. The nuntins are going to add a lot of support to the
inner rails.

Good Luck and if you end up doing the half lap procedure please take lots of
pictures.