Swingman

Default Cheating at dovetail jointery

"Tom H" wrote in message
I'm new to dovetail jointery. I'm making blind dovetails for drawer.

The dovetails were fine, the trouble was getting consistant cuts where the
front and sides were exactly flush at the top and bottom. The side would

be
slightly higher than the front or vice versa. Also some chip-out on the
last dovetail.

My solution is to make my drawer blanks over sized, then cut the

dovetails,
then cut the front and sides even and down to the correct size.

Am I cheating or is this a common practice?

Are you cutting them by hand, or with a jig?

If the former, lack of layout precision is your problem. If the latter,
generally a problem that involves one of the 'reference' stops/edges on the
jig (where you butt up the piece, either to the left or right, before you
clamp it to be routed).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05