DeepDiver

Default Stifatho

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

Btw, that Stifatho sounds great. Do you have a family recipe? (I hope
your
good-hearted friend has enough to share!)

- Michael

Sigh! The friends of which I speak are not local, one family in Utah,
the other in Oregon. I, like you, must go without. That's why pork is
mentioned in the recipe. It is very best made with game meat, however.

There are commerical sources for venison and other game meats. Here is one I
found with a quick Web search that farms their own deer:

http://www.avenison.com/
(They happen to be sold out of most cuts, including the inexpensive stew
meat, although they do have shoulder available.)

And here is one located in Seattle that imports farmed game animals from all
over:

http://www.exoticmeats.com/

This meal is like no other. Truly a delight. Because Susan also makes a
wonderful lamb stew, we don't use lamb for this one, but it, too, would
make exceptional stifatho.

Mmmm... lamb! Speaking of which, I make a pretty mean Moussaka.

French bread? It's never any better than when you've warmed the loaf in
the oven, then served hot. Don't cut it in thin slices, but instead large
pieces, which are torn and dipped in the sauce. The crust gets crisp and
crunchy instead of soggy and tough-----and if you're inclined, a nice rose
wine doesn't hurt the cause, either.

Your Stifatho sounds like it would also be a good candidate for filling a
San Francisco sourdough bread-bowl.

Michael, knowing that you're near, Susan could be talked into making a
batch (with pork) if you'd like to pay a visit. Let us know.

Thank you for your kind and generous invitation (and for your family
recipe). My wife and I would love to visit, as much for the Stifatho as for
a chance to talk shop with you and to learn a thing or two from a master
metalworker. (Ok, to be fair, my wife would not enjoy the latter part at
all, but I certainly would!)

I didn't realize that you were near us; I thought you lived up in Washington
State. (I'm in California's San Francisco Bay Area.) If you don't mind, I'll
contact you offline to discuss further.

Enjoy!

Harold

STIFATHO...