Tony Bryer

Default All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

In article . com,
wrote:
1. The excessive regulation has driven prices to many times the free
market price, so we cant afford decent. Expalined more further down.

The market determines what houses sell for. When bid for sites their
bid is (in simple terms) ultimate sales - (building costs + other costs
+ required profit). So if you increase building standards you reduce
the amount developers are willing to pay for land and at the margin Mr
X decides not to sell to a developer after all.

When you look at overregulation by HMG you are only seeing half the
picture. With few exceptions you cannot build and sell a new house
without NHBC or equivalent certification and back in my BCO days NHBC
had rules for all sorts of things that fell outside or were more
onerous than Bulding Regs including minimum foundation depths near
trees,compulsory treatment of roof timbers, minimum numbers of power
sockets, finishings etc. Someone who has a copy of the NHBC current
standards can expand on this list no doubt.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]