Charlie Self

Default When did SHINY become COOL

s wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:44:42 -0800, charlie b
wrote:
...snip musings on the origin of our fascination with shiny things...

I'm waiting for Powder Coated Wood Finish.

your wait is over:
http://www.powdercoating.org/wood/content.htm

All that's needed to powder coat any item is a method of making the
surface of the item hold an electrical charge for a few minutes. Oh,
yeah. Add to that a material that will resist at least a 400 deg. F.
oven temp.

I've got one of Craftsman's upcoming DIY powder coat guns that I'll be
experimenting with next week. I don't really plan on doing MDF with it,
and certainly I wouldn't upset Larry Jaques by powder coating cherry,
but there are some obvous benefits to using it on wood, particularly if
you're an antique car restorer and cannot find particular moldings for
your vehicle. Shape the pieces out of wood. Powder coat. Heat. Install.
Cost? I think the gun is supposed to retail for under $160.

Because there is no problem with dry edges and other vagaries of spray
painting, the primary limit to the size of the powder coating seems to
be the size of the oven available. Obviously, commercial ovens are
really hot rooms of some size. I'm using a toaster oven. I figure my
wife does NOT want the residue in the kitchen oven the next time she
makes a cake.