Greg G.

Default Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

s said:

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 02:22:33 -0500, Greg wrote:

how about hand
honing the installed blades with a diamond paddle for a few strokes,
maintaining the original angles of the bevel - minus a degree. This
is what I have been doing to sweeten the edges before cutting
something difficult. Easy to rest the paddle hand on the outfeed
table and hold the cutter head at the proper angle with the other.

I know the stroke direction isn't optimal, but it sure seems to work.

Greg G.

the disadvantage of this is that the only thing keeping the grind
consistent is stroke count and your subjective "feel" of how hard
you're leaning into it. if you're careful you can do OK, but after a
short few times you'd better pull the blades, sharpen properly and
reset them.

Yup, that's what I do. That's why I said sweeten, not hone or
sharpen... I left out the other parts for brevity - imagine that...

Thanks,

Greg G.