Greg G.

Default Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

s said:

CW... ya oughta know better than to get in a titfertat with bay area
davie...

I thought so... Hey, Dave. ;-)

it's basically a fine adjustment that does the same thing as the first
bit of use of the machine- it dulls the blades a little bit, producing
a microbevel (a tiny one only) with 0 relief angle. the edge produced
is not as sharp as it was before this, but it will last longer.

This is the conclusion I came to as well. The physics of the process
just didn't add up to being the correct angle for 'honing'.

done even slightly wrong it will do serious damage to your blades,
your jointer and likely your body as well.

This, I am certain of.

don't try it at home, folks.

Since you seem to be fairly well versed in this area, how about hand
honing the installed blades with a diamond paddle for a few strokes,
maintaining the original angles of the bevel - minus a degree. This
is what I have been doing to sweeten the edges before cutting
something difficult. Easy to rest the paddle hand on the outfeed
table and hold the cutter head at the proper angle with the other.

I know the stroke direction isn't optimal, but it sure seems to work.

Greg G.