Greg G.

Default Saf-Start

Mike O. said:

We bought a couple of tools at a school auction recently and all of
the 110 V tools there had a little yellow box called a Saf-Start on
the cords.

At $90 it seems a little high but it may be cheaper than a new
magnetic switch.

The same thing can be accomplished with a DPST 110v relay with
contacts sufficient to the load. About $8.00, plus the box, socket
and cords. Or a latching relay right out of the box.

You may also use more complicated devices such as TRIACs for quicker
switching times, but I don't think triggering on a several millisecond
'blip' in the power is something I want a tool to shut down for.

Or you can add fancy, lightning prone electronics to accomplish the
same thing - with a built in 'drop out' delay time.

I guess the school liked them because they had them on everything.

Law Suits and Government Waste - MMmmm, what a tasty combination.

Greg G.