Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Let the record show that Gunner wrote back

on
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:18:07 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Even in soft skin targets, Ive noticed steam rising. Red mist a ground
squirrel with a 22-250, and you may notice some of the released heat
rising as steam.

Is that "steam" or just the rising 'warm air' heated by the exposed
internal parts of the squirrel; where his former body core (and higher
temps) are now exposed to the air and cooling?

Could be either way and a bit of both, would depend on conditions,
etc...

I'm inclined to think it's to do with the velocity of the bullet, which
vaporizes lots of the critter as it disintegrates. Ackley used to say
there's nothing (game animals) on the US continent that can't be taken just
as well with a high velocity 22 as any other gun. Hydraulic shock is a good
part of the reason critters die when shot. You can imagine how nuts he
thought I was when I told him I "needed" a .458.

Harold