Matt Beard

Default New TV aerial for 'strong' or 'weak' signal?

Lobster wrote:
Need a new TV aerial; I note Screwfix sell different models for 'strong'
and 'weak' signal areas. AFAIK we're in a fairly OK area, but my
question is, is there any disadvantage in fitting the 'weak signal' type
if it might not be necessary? Otherwise it's clearly not worth even
considering paying two quid less for the 'strong' variety?

David

Aerials for weak areas have greater gain, this means that you get more
signal, but you also get more noise. If you have a strong enough signal
to use a "strong area" aerial you are probably better off using that,
otherwise using a "weak area" one may pick up noise that is in the UHF
band, but is not the desired signal.

As always it's a case of horses for courses.