Charlie Self

Default With the price of wood what it is does it make sense to cheap out on tools that'll last a lifetime?

Steve wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
"David" wrote in message
. ..

Having spent over $300 today for 6 pieces of wood, I wonder why a
woodworker subjected to the same high prices would think twice about
spending a little bit more to buy premium (I don't mean extravagant
necessarily!) equipment. In the few short years I've been at this
hobby, I've spent thousands on wood. And the number of projects are
quite modest.

Just a thought.

Actually Dave, I don't see much of a correlation between the price of wood
and the tools chosen to work it. It's more the skill of the woodworker that
is going to have an impact on that expensive wood than the tool. How often
do you really encounter a tool - especially a tool that would fall into the
category of "adequate", damaging a piece of wood? You more often hear of
errors on the part of the woodworker causing the problem. I've long held
that it's much less about the tool than it is about the tool holder.

Here's a reason a woodworkier might buy less expensive (cheap?) tools:
the cash to buy the more expensive model just ain't available. :-)

--Steve

Yup. My contention has always been that it's better to work wood than
it is to **** and moan about not having 2200 bucks for the perfect
table saw, 1700 for the top jointer, 1500 for a great planer. Get the
$250 saw, the $250 jointer, the $250 planer, and get 'em used if you
have to. Go with what you've got until your ship comes in.

Of course, if you're like me, the frigging ship will sink just as it
gets in sight of the dock.