BobS

Default Table saw wood splitter/anti kick back question

The splitter is intended to keep wood from binding directly behind the blade
causing it to be forced up and over the blade - at a pretty dangerous speed.
When cutting wood, stresses can be relieved that force them to start
moving - it doesn't take much to get a kickback and possible serious injury.

I'll bet if you asked your father how many close calls he's had with
kickback you may reconsider what he's doing as an unsafe practice. Doesn't
mean he can't get away with it but the odds are that it will one day catch
him big time.

You stated he has no reason to use a splitter. Not sure I would care to read
what he has to say for fear of picking up some bad practices that I haven't
already tried on my own. He's either the luckiest guy on earth, has some of
the best wood around or doesn't use his tablesaw very often.

A good splitter is not inconvenient to use and being lazy about using one is
putting yourself at risk unnecessarily.

Bob S.

"wayne mak" wrote in message
I agree that is doesn't make a clean cut, but it would seem it might aid in
keeping the stock even with the fence
"David" wrote in message
wayne mak wrote:

The Unisaw that I bought has the tongue behind the blade to split/anti
kick back the wood, how many people use this? It would seem it would
help keep the wood against the fence. My dad who has been wood working
for ever and has written books for fine wood working doesn't use one and
see's no reason too. But it seems to me that it would help make a clean
cut any thoughts?

What makes you think a splitter helps make a clean cut, Wayne? Proper
alignment, good techinique and the proper sharp blade is what provides a
clean cut; not the splitter.

Dave