Mike Henry

Default Building a workshop in my basement?

"Jeff B" wrote in message
I have a newer home that has garages *barely* deep enough for the cars
themselves. I also have neighborhood covenants forbidding any kind of
outside shed, shop, etc. So basically, if I want a place to play it looks
like it's going to have to be in the basement.

My question is, am I crazy to think about building an enclosed room in my
(currently unfinished) basement? The space I have that I could allocate
to this is about 12' x 15'. I was thinking that I'd leave the floor
concrete and put up drywall all the way around... sound isolation would be
a major concern. It would almost be pointless to have this workshop if I
could use it late at night while the family is sleep (2 floor up). I
guess before I go on too much more I should mention what I actually want
to do in it! It will mainly be for Tig welding, which I'm not concerned
about excessive noise or dirt/debris levels, but I will also be
prepping/making the pieces that will be welded in this room as well. This
means grinding, drilling, cutting, etc. I won't have any air ducts going
to this room, so hopefully the mess would stay enclosed in there, but
basically I'm looking for a real world sanity from anybody else that has
done this. If I'm shop-vaccing the room twice a week, can I actually pull
this off without ruining my house? If anyone else has built something like
this, I'd love to see some pictures. I am just trying to prepare my "case"
for when I tell the wife "oh yeah, I'm going to start welding in the
basement, but don't worry, the whole house won't be covered in aluminum
shavings" :-)

We're in a townhome with similar garage space limitations and most of my
shop is in the basement. Lathe, vertical & horizontal mills, T&C grinder,
surface grinder, 4x6 bandsaw, shaper, tool carts, work benches, etc. Noise
hasn't been a problem yet - at least the neighbors haven't complained in
over 5 years, though my wife objects to hammering at 2:00 am. I wouldn't
feel at all comfortable welding down there, especially with no ventilation.

If you proceed with dry walling in a shop, make sure that you plan
adequately for a multitude of electrical outlets, both 110 and 220 VAC and
plan on plenty of lighting fixtures. I'd put 110 VAC outlets about every 4
feet with 220 VAC availabel every 8 to 12 feet.

Mike