RoyJ

Default Spot welding ques.

No, you cannot do a standard spot weld using a buzz box. The current for
a spot welder runs in the several thousand amp range at less than a
volt. Your buzz box runs at 25 volts and the usual couple hundred amps max.

There are some very nice portable spot welder units that do a nice job
on steel up to 1/8" total thickness (110volt) or a bit more (230volt
units).

You can also get an accesory tool (Eastman Tools???) that sets a rod
down, does a puddle, and retracts. It's actually a standard stick weld
but in a round button form.

Time Traveler wrote:
Can you use a regular ac buzz box welder as a spot welder for sheet
metal.I plan to make a clamp with copper alloy electrodes.Anything
special with the electrics on a commercial model spot welder?What would
be the amperage to spot weld 1 mm sheet metal if my idea has merit.