John Cartmell

Default All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

In article , Chris Bacon
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
Destroying your industry is *not* reform. Spending your capital on
unemployment benefit is *not* good sense. Most of what Thatcher did was
damaging to the country.

That's why, of course, when Labour won, a certain Mr. Healy commented that
"This time, we (Labour) are fortunate to inherit an economy that is in
pretty good shape". If you cannot remember, as may well be the case, Dennis
Healy was Chancellor of the Exchequer when Labour were in power in the
1970s.

I do know of Dennis and have met him. Great fellow even if I did disagree
with some of his politics. He was comparing the economic cycle of 1997 with
that in 1974 and 1964 (and possibly 1945). In every case other than 1997 when
the Labour Government opened the books the whole thing was in an absolute
shambles. In 1997 we were recovering from a shambles and the depth of that
shambles was already appreciated by the electorate. The 'only' problem was to
keep it going steady (something that no-one had ever managed before). Eight
years beats all records ...

OK Arguably that would have been before she became PM but that's not an
argument that I'd accept. She was sane at the time of her crimes. Bad -
but not mad.

Crimes? Laughable.

No. People giving up their homes because their mortgage payments doubled
overnight is not a laughing matter. People being thrown out of work because
the gvernment is too stupid to reduce inflation any other way is not a
laughing matter. People having their faces burnt off because Thatcher was too
penny-pinching to keep a UK presence in the South Atlantic is not a laughing
matter. People committing suicide because their business and home were lost
through no fault of their own - but clearly the direct result of government
policy designed to make the rich richer at the cost of others - is not a
laughing matter.

And *******s like you voted for her because you couldn't think for yourself -
or where you one of those with enough spare capital to grow rich at the
expense of everyone else?

Anyway, uk.politics.misc went that --- way.

You laughed. Don't do that and not expect an off-topic but on-reality reply.