Andy Dingley

Default Treadle Lathe

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:46:19 +0100, doozer
wrote:

Yep, in fact the project started out as a pole lathe since it is the
simplest to build but I am not keen on the reciprocating motion

Pole and treadle lathes are both crap. They're demanding of tools,
timber and skill to use. Great fun, but they're a bad place to learn to
turn, they can't produce at speed and they really limit you to spindle
turning in green timber.

So I only bother with a pole lathe, _because_ of the intermitent action.
If I'm doing this at all, I'm either doing something in a tent ful of
hippies, or I'm doing repro where I want the characteristic finish of a
reciprocating action. If I'm actually trying to get something _done_,
then it's an electric lathe with a variable speed on the fly. I wouldn't
bother with a treadle lathe for anythign bigger than pen or bobbin
turning,

I'd love to have a go with a Great Wheel lathe (an apprentice cranks the
handle)