Brian Sharrock

Default All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Sharrock wrote:

And; we actually know the name of the ONE:- it transpires that
the MP who's vote saved 'Tony' was a certain David Blunkett
- 'I haven't done nothing wrong!"- who returned to the Common's
lobby to vote for the government -without his vote it would've
been a tie.

In which case, the Speaker would have exercised his casting vote in
favour of the Government of the day. Ties are always resolved in favour
of the Government.

Although you're correct constitutionally ... the Speaker is _expected_
to vote for the Government the member for Sheffield Brightside(?)
could have been expected to point out that the rules (Erskine)
only say _should_ .... ! Glasgow Mick might have muttered
something which the Hansard Writer might've rendered in
English as 'I diina ken what to do .... I diina want to do anything wrong!"
Seriously; the Fettes/Oxford educated Scot might have been faced
with electoral disaster when the English realised that Habeas Corpus
and the right to be brought before a magistrate had been suborned
by a claques of Scots!

--

Brian