Charles Spitzer

Default how septic systems work?

"uncle k" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

Whoa! Not so fast... In our area, pumps are now required on all new
installations. More on that, below.

Are you sure they don't mean on systems where the leach field is above
the tank (ie: "mound systems"?).

Quite sure. The affluent must be pumped into the drainfiled, even though
most of our county is glacial till. River valleys, on the other hand,
don't drain for sh**. Thus, there have been and continue to also be new
mound systems installed. It's just another broadly-stroked government
solution to a problem which doesn't exist, right here. Life goes on.

i think affluent should be pumped into a drainfield too, but don't you mean
effluent?

If you're in an area with poor soils almost always needing "mound
systems"
in order to get sufficient percolation, it might lead you to believe
that up-pumps and vents are mandatory everywhere, but in actual fact,
it's specific to your local soil conditions.

I find it hard to imagine that codes would insist on septic pumps
_unless_ there was a percolation problem. Because a pumped system
has a higher likelyhood of failing sooner or later.

Your astonishment is duly noted, and you are correct, as far as I know.
But believe it, all new systems are pumped. It doesn't need to make
sense. Visualize a guy with a fancy computer, who has never actually
touched a septic tank lid, handing down his overly enviornmentally-correct
opinions to some yahoo who advises the yahoos who actually decide what
laws shall apply, and it should be easy to grasp.