Kevin

Default A question about gouge profiles

Hello all,

I have a Sorby bowl gouge, .375 I believe, purchased the same day I bought
my lathe. It has what is called a fingernail profile. Learned that
freehand sharpening is not yet in the cards for me, so I purchased a jig.
(see:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...62&cat=1,43072)
Now I am certainly not wanting to call up all the sharpening posts we get
here on a perhaps monthly basis. They are interesting but my interest lies
mainly in the different types of gouge grinds aka profiles. What are they?
What are their strong points? Weak points?
I do find that the profile I am now using is quite fine for the outside of a
bowl. (It's the only gouge and profile I have so the previous statement is a
bit weak. Kinda like doing a stat analysis from an N of 1) Working on the
inside is a bit more problemmatic. From the rim to the bottom presents no
real problem. Making the turn from the side wall to the bottom is where I
find a scraper to be most useful.

Pointers to pics on websites displaying different profiles would be a
tremendous help.