Andy Hall

Default Combi in a cupboard in the bathroom ?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:53:37 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Is there a regulation that says it needs to be on an RCD ? I can see that
it would make sense, but as it's hardwired and in a cupboard, is it
actually a requirement now?

I'd have to check, but you might get away with it if the cabinet requires
tools (i.e. a screwdriver) to remove the door. However, I'm not 100% certain
on this point.

Christian.

Zone 1 relates to the space above and below but not in the bath.
There is a reference to the space under the bath being in Zone 1 if
tools are not required to open it. 601-02-01

601-09-02 talks about fixed current using equipment. Apart from
shower pumps and water heaters, it allows other equipment that can
only be used reasonably in that zone to be fitted under the bath if a
30mA RCD is used, This would not apply here, since you would not
fit a combi under the bath, I think.

The argument that would apply here would be to make the cupboard
outside zones ( 3m from bath) by requiring a tool to unlock it, but I
can't see a specific rule permitting it.

However, according to 601-09-03, a fixed current using water heater
may be installed even in zone 2 (next to bath) if it is suitable for
installation in that area. I am dubious that a combi boiler would
be suitably rated with the appropriate IPX4 coding.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl