Peter Grey

Default Building a workshop in my basement?

FWIW, I do all my metalworking (milling, turning, drilling, sawing,
grinding, sanding, TIG welding) in my 11' x 17' garage next to my current
covered project car. While it may not be optimal, I've had no problems
setting anything on fire or damaging the car. Having said that, (and
assuming that you're comfortable with the chip production) the things I
would feel comfortable doing in the basement would be using the mill, lathe,
drill press and TIG welder. Everything else is loud, although you could
save that work for a time when no one's around or sleeping. The loudest
machine in my shop is the compressor, but I've got a cheap unit. A nicer
compressor would be quieter and may be acceptable. I wouldn't MIG or stick
weld in my basement.

You WILL get chips in the house. It's damn near impossible to keep your
clothes, shoes, etc. completely free of them. I track them in from the
garage despite my best efforts - not a lot of them, but enough for me to
look sheepish when my wife reaches down and picks one up off of the kitchen
floor...

I would think it advisable to vent the room if possible. In order for
family members not to wrinkle their noses at the smells (lubricating oil,
argon, brake clean, etc...) wafting their way upstairs, I'd try to run at
least one vent to the outside. I don't know your house, but I'm assuming
that's not a big deal to do... I'd paint the floor to minimize dust and
ease clean up. Keep it clean and you'll be fine.

Peter

"Jeff B" wrote in message
Before we get totally sidetracked with "the downfall of western
civilization" :-) let me ask a few more questions...

For one, the garage is just not an option because my cars are in there (it
would take hours to explain how anal I am about cars) and even if I had
them covered I would be literally like 6" away from a
most-likely-flammable car cover running power tools...

I guess my big question at this point is, is there no one here that welds
in their basement? I have never heard that there are toxic fumes that are
produced when tig welding... if I can't weld in the basement, then
everything else doesn't really matter...

thanks,
Jeff

"Ignoramus12686" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:30:24 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:

"Ignoramus12686" wrote: (clip) Grinding is somewhat worse, chop saw is
way
too loud. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOTE: It is possible to start a fire with the stream of sparks from a
grinder. I once actually set fire to the shop coat I was WEARING.
Also,
plan your work so you never finish welding and then close up and leave
the
shop. It is possible for sparks to fall somewhere and start a
smouldering
fire.

Yeppers, I burned a hole in my pants once with a angle grinder.

I would definitely recommend to keep all grinding equipment in the
garage. Too much fine dust, sparks, noise etc.