Don Foreman

Default Building a workshop in my basement?

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:18:30 -0600, "Jeff B" wrote:

Before we get totally sidetracked with "the downfall of western
civilization" :-) let me ask a few more questions...

For one, the garage is just not an option because my cars are in there (it
would take hours to explain how anal I am about cars) and even if I had them
covered I would be literally like 6" away from a most-likely-flammable car
cover running power tools...

I guess my big question at this point is, is there no one here that welds in
their basement? I have never heard that there are toxic fumes that are
produced when tig welding... if I can't weld in the basement, then
everything else doesn't really matter...

thanks,
Jeff

I did, some years ago.

ALL welding and brazing processes produce fumes. TIG is certainly
far less fumerous than stick or fluxcore wirefeed, but when metal is
hot enough to melt there will be fumes and vapors. The manuals that
come with welders all emphasize good ventilation as mandatory. That
is by no means to say that welding can't or shouldn't be done
indoors, merely that adequate ventilation is necessary if you do.

I made an upflow exhaust hood over my welding table, vented to
outdoors thru a dryer vent. The trick is to get a blower that is
acceptably quiet. The squirrelcage blower out of a small furnace is
pretty quiet when run at low speed. Small blowers that move enough
air to do any good are noisy because they have to run fast to move any
air. Blower speed = blower noise.