Jeff B

Default Building a workshop in my basement?

The main thing I am hoping to do is to satisfy my "car cravings" during the
4-5 months of winter weather that we have where I cannot drive the cars. In
the summer I could take the cars out, but when there is snow on the ground
my babies are locked in their insulated, heated cocoon :-) So basically,
I'm back to the basement.

I will be welding mild steel, stainless and aluminum using pure argon as the
shielding gas. If limited to these materials, does anybody know for sure if
there are any toxic concerns?

Thanks,
Jeff

"Ignoramus12686" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:18:30 -0600, Jeff B wrote:
Before we get totally sidetracked with "the downfall of western
civilization" :-) let me ask a few more questions...

For one, the garage is just not an option because my cars are in there
(it
would take hours to explain how anal I am about cars) and even if I had
them
covered I would be literally like 6" away from a most-likely-flammable
car
cover running power tools...

Can you take your car out of the garage while you do your grinding?

I guess my big question at this point is, is there no one here that welds
in
their basement? I have never heard that there are toxic fumes that are
produced when tig welding... if I can't weld in the basement, then
everything else doesn't really matter...

there is a guy in sci.engr.joining.welding who welds in his
kitchen. It is possible. I do not think that there is any harm in tig
welding steel. I am not so sure if the same can be said about welding
all other metals.

thanks,
Jeff

"Ignoramus12686" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:30:24 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:

"Ignoramus12686" wrote: (clip) Grinding is somewhat worse, chop saw is
way
too loud. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOTE: It is possible to start a fire with the stream of sparks from a
grinder. I once actually set fire to the shop coat I was WEARING.
Also,
plan your work so you never finish welding and then close up and leave
the
shop. It is possible for sparks to fall somewhere and start a
smouldering
fire.

Yeppers, I burned a hole in my pants once with a angle grinder.

I would definitely recommend to keep all grinding equipment in the
garage. Too much fine dust, sparks, noise etc.