uncle k

Default how septic systems work?

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

These systems are usually a simple gravity feed (meaning the sewage
plumbing
in the house is higher than the tank, and the outflow of the tank is
higher
than the bed).

In your case, obviously some or all of your drain plumbing in the house
is _below_ the tank, hence you need the septic pump.

Whoa! Not so fast... In our area, pumps are now required on all new
installations. More on that, below.

Needing venting on the bed is a little unusual, so it might not be
exactly as described above. Might be something needed to ensure
that your septic pump doesn't overpressure the bed lines and pop
them apart.

All of our new systems have such vents, as well. Hardly unusual.

Septic tanks need periodic cleanout if they're used more than
occasionally. Mostly to remove the solid buildup, and as such,
you can often skip cleanout of the liquid tank. If you know
when it was last cleaned out, remember to get it done again in 3
years later, and ask them to tell you whether it needs to be
done more or less often.

Really? I had one pumped last year that hadn't been pumped for about 15-20
years. It was about half filled with solids and in perfect working order.
Mostly, it depends on the composition of the soil, who is using the system,
and what they allow to go into it.

Pumps I was told by an experienced installer that the new "pumped"
systems (mandated by local government) are guaranteed to fail, as they will
ultimately pump solids into the drain field. I guess that's why they also
require a designated "back-up" drainfield area to be established, where
nothing can be built. Pity the poor sucker who has a smallish lot.

This subject stinks,

Unc