John Keith

Default Kenmore dryer door cracks open and shuts off

On 3 Nov 2005 04:50:05 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

The cables and springs normally don't hold the door closed, they help
to support the door when it is opened.

Good point, when the door is closed the only force the cables exert is
in the upward direction so they really can't assist keeping the door
closed.

The door catch may be worn
enough to allow the door to open up during operation.

It is an older dryer.

a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open

The door/door hinges may be warped a bit.

The youngster is small for her age but she certainly could have made
an "adjustment" to the mechanism.

Thank you Jeff and Bill for the pointer to the web page.

I'll look at the latches next time I'm at this woman's house and see
if replacing them might help.

John Keith