tempus fugit

Default unit hums loudly regardless of volume

Still alive and kicking John, lol.

Thanks for the tips. The "death cap" I assume is the one that is connected
from the live to the chassis? I'm not sure that there even is one in this
unit, but as I mentioned earlier, I just took a quick peek inside the
chassis and put it back together. I haven't had too much time to mess with
it, but I'll definitely look for that when I do. If everyone would like, I
could take a picture of it and post it on ABSE.

What do youy think?

Thanks again
"Porky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello tempus, are you still with us? Don't forget to pull the plug, eh!
I suggest you search for a brand and model #, then search at
rec.antiques.radio+phono, where there are expert advisors on how these
units can be fixed. The transformer you saw was for the output to the
speaker. You are dealing with a live chassis unit. the "death cap" may
be shorted, and the hum you here is 120vac running thru the chassis.
The filter caps may not be too bad, although they are always leaky at
that age. You can use 50-80 uF for the first 2, then drop to 20-30 for
the other 2. There is no diode tube to worry about. If the diode is a
bunch of square plates with a central bolt, it is selenium. Replace it
with a new silicon diode and a resistor. Cheers.

John Kogel