Rumble

Default Single LV light on dimmer

said the following on 01/11/2005 16:33:
I have a single 50W LV Halogen downlight (max 60W dimmable transformer)
on a 40-250W dimmer switch. The light flickers and does not dim
smoothly. I have replaced the dimmer switch and the same thing
happens.

It has been suggested that the problem is being caused by having too
little load on the dimmer switch i.e. they work more effectively when
loaded closer to the 250W maximum.

Therefore does anyone know of another solution e.g. a dimmer that works
from 20W-150W say or similar. I do want the light to dim as it is
above the bed and don't always want it on full brightness.

Thanks

Ben

It's true that the semiconductors in the dimmer design require a
"significant" load current to work smoothly.

However, you should be sure (if you have not done so) that the dimmer
and transformer are compatible. Some dimmers do not like toroidal
transformers and some electronic dimmers are either i. crap (sorry) or
ii. "fussy".

Besides changing the dimmer and/or transformer for different brands,
There are generally two ways to get around the problem, one is to
connect additional lighting load somewhere else (e.g. on the landing, in
the bathroom) and the other is to connect a dummy heating load.

You might be able to find somewhere you could connect something like one
of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

in parallel with your lamp.

HTH