Rob

Default What's the most interesting woods to look at in a fireplace?

Goedjn wrote:
What part of the country do you all who burn cedar live in where you can
find it growing locally? Where I live (Pennsylvania) there are no
species of cedar that grow here. We do have a variety of juniper tree
that is commonly called "Red Cedar" but it is not a true cedar species.
I thought I had heard that the only place real cedars live in the US is
in California, but I was not sure.

Atlas Cedar (Atlantic Cedar) should grow fine in PA.
Port Orford Cedar, which is the good stuff for making arrows,
is mostly limited to CA/OR. But I think that that's actually
some kind of cyprus variant.

I have seen the specimen tree called the Atlas Cedar you mention in
specialized landscapes, but it is very rare in the US since it is not a
native species. Technically, there are no native cedars in the eastern US.

Rob

NE PA USA