Dr. Deb

Default Polishing

Sniperborg wrote:

I've just started woodturning a couple of weeks ago and was wondering
what sort of finishing you people use on a given type of wood i.e wax,
oil, stain etc
Which gives the best shine or highlights the grain.
I'm currently working my way through our wood pile, which mainly
consists of english oak, but will hopefully branch out to other woods
soon.
Mark

Personally, and this is a highly subjective subject, I prefer to put a
couple of coats of shellac* on, let thoroughly dry, buff with 0000 steel
wool and the apply two coats of "Briwax.**"

* With the shellac, be sure the lathe is turned off and rotate the work
piece by hand to insure a good covering. I used to apply with the piece
spinning on the lathe, but found that I got a better coverage with the
lathe turned off.

** I apply the Briwax with the lather under power and buff each coat with a
good soft lint free rag.

Deb