Vic Baron

Default Dust Collectors...

"Astriapo" wrote in message

I bought a dust collector tonight. What is the idea behind grounding
the hose? I assume to reduce friction. So do I connect it to a pipe
and hook it to the tool itself or what?

Gee - I'm really sorry you asked that question. Prepare for a lot of pro's
and cons. For in depth information, search for info. Otherwise, *some*
people content that static electricity could generate a spark which will
ignite the dust in the hoses and start a fire in your workshop. Others
quickly point out that there is NOT ONE documented case of this happening in
a home workshop. Dust explosions in a commercial environment are another
matter but still not relative to the dust collector and static electricity.

If you want to do it, run a copper wire through the hoses and ground them. I
did it that way and it was a real PITA. When I moved and redid the system, I
did not ground the hoses/pipes.

IMHO, ignore the grounding - it really falls under the urban legend heading.

Vic