David

Default Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

David wrote:

I hone my blades per the instructions that came with the 54a jointer,
which means holding a sharpening stone over the blades and firing up
the jointer (using precautions as listed in the manual). I like to do
that because I'm not perfect at getting 3 blades precisely set to the
same gnat's ass height. Once I think I'm within 2 or 3 thou, I let the
stone do the "rest".

Dave

I took a look at the 54A manual that's on-line at Powermatic's web site
and it states:

1. Disconnect the machine from the power
source.

2. Remove the blade guard and belt cover.

3. To protect the infeed table from scratches,
partially cover the sharpening stone with
paper (Figure 47).

4. Lay the stone on the infeed table.

5. Lower the infeed table and turn the
cutterhead by turning the cutterhead pulley.
The infeed table height is set properly when
the stone's surface is flush with the knife
bevel.

6. Keep the cutterhead from rotating by
grasping the cutterhead pulley while sliding -------
the stone back and forth across the table.

7. Take the same amount of passes for all
three blades."

Nowhere that I can find does it mention honing the blades with the
jointer running.

The manual can be found at:

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_1791279DX.pdf

THEY CHANGED THE INSTRUCTIONS!! I'VE GOT THE MANUAL IN FRONT OF ME AND
IT STATES ON PAGE 14, STEP NUMBER 4, TURN THE MACHINE ON.

there is a picture showing a block of wood held by a clamp.

SO THERE!!!

Nice try, and thanks for playing

i can scan the entire page and put it on the binaries if you'd like!

Dave