Frank Boettcher

Default Buy Good Old Equipment rather than new cheap.

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:08:30 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
.. .
I value your advice and have a question. With the outbreak of flooding
due to the hurricanes in the gulf do you think we will have a problem with
used equipment flooding the market that has suffered water damage that is
undetectable? It is not always possible to "plug it in and try it" with
larger equipment and I am not confident I could detect a well hidden
problem.
Puff

Well, I wouldn't be too quick on buying used cars for about six months,
that's for sure.

I'm rebuilding a Unisaw that was completely flooded in Katrina.
Believe me, at least with that machine you would be able to tell.
Every machined surface is completely rusted. All the fasteners,
whether they were zinc chromate plated or black oxide were visibly
corroded.

Now I'm sure it will be fine when I'm finished but it is taking a
complete teardown to recover it. Most would not go through that just
to sell it on the used market (I certainly would not) and if you
didn't, I believe you could tell.

Frank