David

Default With the price of wood what it is does it make sense to cheapout on tools that'll last a lifetime?

alexy wrote:

David wrote:

Having spent over $300 today for 6 pieces of wood, I wonder why a
woodworker subjected to the same high prices would think twice about
spending a little bit more to buy premium (I don't mean extravagant
necessarily!) equipment. In the few short years I've been at this
hobby, I've spent thousands on wood. And the number of projects are
quite modest.

Just a thought.

Dave

I think it can be very short-sighted to skimp on tools but there still
are good answers to your question in certain circumstances.

A1: Because money spent on wood often yields more satisfying results
(end product, skills development, etc.) than the same money spent on a
premium tool. If I have $1,000 to spend, would I rather have $1,000
worth of wood I can work with, building furniture, or a premium
thingamajig to sit in my shop, which I can admire and imagine using if
I could afford the wood to put through it?

A2: Because an adequate tool is, well, adequate, while a premium tool
is a waste. E.g., I have a minimal set of carving gouges that are
perfectly adequate for my very occasional needs. A premium set of
carving tools would be a waste for me--better to spend the money on
wood. Now if my interests were to change to more carving and less
straight work with dimensional stock, I would likely sell some nice
planes to buy better carving tools.

Just some other thoughts. ;-)

I'm with you. No need to splurge where there isn't a clear benefit (on
the tools).

But when I buy equipment I know I'm not going to be cutting them into
pieces, some of which are discarded!

Dave