PipeDown

Default Copper Plumbing Rust, On New Pipes, HOW TO CLEAN IT ?

wrote in message
On 2 Nov 2005 11:47:30 -0800, wrote:

Are there any sealant that can be applied to the area of cleaned copper
? I must confess that I have absolutely no clue about plumbing.. Just
want the pipes to stop turning green again in a couple of months. The
thought of having to open the floor and walls to repipe in 5 years is
pretty scary. Hopefully after the cleaning the pipes
will not turn green for much longer.

Did you miss a poster's point that they will tarnish again after you
clean them? Once you do clean them and you are happy - spray them
with a can of kilz primer if it bothers you. Flux can be burnt as I
understand it which leads to the corrosions. Attention to
details..from the plumber reduces that ugly corrosion.

It's scary that you might consider opening the floors and walls to
clean the pipes off "in a couple of months" /\0-0/\

You worry too much. The patina or tarnish is strictly cosmetic and once the
walls are closed, you will never see it so why preserve the outside of the
pipes. Overcleaning especially with abrasives will eventually thin the
walls causing problems. Best to leave it alone.

If you really must obsess over having shiny pipes, you can use plain old
fashioned Shellac as it is used to seal all sorts of metal surfaces from
corrosion