Paul Franklin

Default Copper Plumbing Rust, On New Pipes, HOW TO CLEAN IT ?

On 2 Nov 2005 09:07:20 -0800, wrote:

We hired a plumber to pipe the entire house with new copper pipes a
couple of months back. In the last weekend, I found that there are
quite large areas of green rusts around the copper fitting/connector
sections. The floors and walls are still open, so we can still access
all pipes.

I did not observe the installation so do not know exactly how they
did it. I'd like to avoid repiping the entire house, and want to
see if there is a way to clean up the rust and apply proper sealant
to those areas. My hope is that this clean up will let the pipe last
as long as those laid properly.

Would appreciate suggestions on ways to do this.

An expensive lesson learned, never hire a plumber ONLY based
on price!

What you are probably seeing results from the plumber not thoughly
removing the remnants of the flux used when soldering copper pipes.
Some of the more aggressive fluxes will cause the pipe to show that
green corrosion. If those sections of pipe feel a little slimy or
greasy, than that is almost certainly what has happened. When
soldering the joints, the flux liquifies and flows a ways out on the
pipe.

It's mostly an appearance issue and doesn't mean the joints will leak
right away or even ever. But if it bothers you, you can remove the
flux with hot water and a good grease cutting detergent. Then buff
the corrosion away with plumbers cloth (emery cloth) or a scotch-brite
pad.

Yes, a really careful plumber will take the time to wipe the excess
flux off the joints after soldering. But as we all know...high priced
doesn't necessarily mean good (although the other way 'round is a
safer bet!)

HTH,

Paul