Duane Bozarth

Default Buy Good Old Equipment rather than new cheap.

Lee Gordon wrote:

You bring up a valid point but I see from your header info that you are in
North Carolina where the equipment you describe is probably in relatively
abundant supply. Assuming some of the cost benefit of buying used equipment
is to obtain it locally and save on shipping costs, you and your neighbors
are at an advantage over many of the rest of us.

Also doesn't provide any indication of the size of shop or availability
of power (primarily 3-phase) for the equipment of which he was
thinking. Much of the equipment even from small commercial shops that
is available at reasonable cost is far bigger than a home-shop user will
have either room for or power to run. By the time one invests in the
3-phase to single converter, etc., much of the advantage is gone, ime.

That said, I keep looking for a large old Crescent or other 16" or
larger jointer in reasonable shape close enough to make it feasible....

Unfortunately, there probably have never been more than 10 or so ever in
the state, and of those 8 would have been in the farthest reaches of the
eastern portion of the state, 400 mi or so away. I attended a bunch of
auctions while in TN and VA and saw several, but the process of getting
one of those behemoths from there to here is non-trivial...