ceg ceg is offline
Junior Member

Default reclaimed parquet flooring - help!

hi allyou've prob been asked this several times before but after looking on posts left right and center on diy not, I'm now totally confused so thought I would drop an email to you...

I've got some reclaimed parquet flooring to be laid on a self levelled compounded concrete floor...

the parquet we have has got bitumen on and from the posts I've seen it looks like the majority of this has got to come off... (fun job from the sounds of it!)

anyhow this is the bit that’s baffling me, is what to stick it down with? the f21 styccobond stuff, techy dept there seems to be saying all the old bitumen has got to come off it to bare wood - which I know is not going to happen! also having phoned around lots of local people this seems to be hard to get hold of. also being a 1960's house not totally convinced there is a dpm (2 other ground floor rooms have parquet flooring, and this room being the old kitchen presumably had the old vinyl tiles, which I believe had the bitumen down so assuming that is the dpm. I guess another question will be does the f21 act as a dpm?) on the synaprufe front, their techy team say that this isnt suitable for parquet flloring and is now amending their web site...

I'm also wantig the floor to be laid in herringbone style so matches the other rooms, where do you start laying it? also is the 2 row flat edge essential as my other half is not keen on this..

and then to the finishing.. is it ok to use some sort of varnish/sealer once sanded, so that I don’t need to wax floor every 6 months? does this work? looking for a least maintenance floor, which will still look nice ie a compromise...

any help or advice you can give would be much appreaciated.... thanks in adavance for any help c