Rob

Default What's the most interesting woods to look at in a fireplace?

Bill wrote:
I like Cedar. It smells good when cutting/splitting. Makes the house smell
wonderful! And crackles.

Also it is cool to burn a cardboard/paper egg carton with the cover closed.
It burns then keeps its shape for quite awhile. One whiff of air and the
whole thing will collapse.

"dean" wrote in message

Meaning, either crackly, or different flame colors, or (i've seen at
some point) very bright white embers burning in the draft.

What part of the country do you all who burn cedar live in where you can
find it growing locally? Where I live (Pennsylvania) there are no
species of cedar that grow here. We do have a variety of juniper tree
that is commonly called "Red Cedar" but it is not a true cedar species.
I thought I had heard that the only place real cedars live in the US is
in California, but I was not sure.

That being said, I would definitely make a fence out of juniper, but not
burn it in the fireplace as it has sap like other evergreens and is a
big source of creosote in a chimney.

Rob
NE PA USA