Kalman Rubinson

Default speaker box assignment

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:38:02 -0500, JW wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:52:26 -0500 Kalman Rubinson wrote in
Message id: :

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:44:12 -0500, JW wrote:

On 31 Oct 2005 20:47:41 -0800 "
wrote in Message id:
ups.com:

We are allowed to explore other materials
if we desire. This assignment is pretty open as far as materials and
box design.

I'd always figured that granite enclosures would rule audio-wise - they'd
look nice too. All other things being equal, I suspect that the higher the
density of the enclosure material, the better the sound quality.

Mebbe but it's not so much the density as the damping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a higher density material cause the
damping to improve? (Lead speakers anyone?)

Lead is dense and soft, both of which contribute to its damping
properties. The problem with simply saying that a dense material is
sufficient is that it leaves out the thickness. A dense but thin wall
is harder to damp than a light but thin wall. Same for thick walls.
It really depends on the sizes of the walls and where you want to move
the resonances.

As a general rule, you can get away with dense, thick, braced panels
but that might not be practical (or moveable).

Kal