John Girouard

Default magnetic featherboard design ideas

Doug Miller wrote:
I am thinking about using 1 or 2 magnetic bases... the type machinists
use with attached dial indicators,

Dial indicators on a featherboard? Why?

I think he means he wants to use a magnetic base similar to the kind that
ship with some dial indicators. They have a handy switch that rotates the
magnet "on" (closer to the work surface) or "off" (further from the work
surface). I tried this once, but the featherboard I made was too thick for
the magnet to do any good. Perhaps some day I'll rout out a bit of the
featherboard so the magnetic base can sit closer to the table.

-John in NH