Gunner Asch

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:54:48 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:06:11 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

(That's *NOT* saying that a .30-06 isn't "high powered enough"... How
could anyone sane make that claim when it's generally considered to be
"plenty of rifle" for practically anything that walks, flies, crawls, or
slithers on the north American continent? Never mind the crazy folks
who have used it for taking African "big game", up to and including
rhinos and elephants...)

Karamojo Bell used the 7x57 as his official elephant management rifle,
during his tenure as a government game manager. FMJs. Something like
250 elephants IRRC

Gunner

I've read damned few books of that nature in my lifetime. I'm not keen on
reading unless it's something that interests me, and I'm more inclined to
read books that instruct me in things that I desire to learn, but on the
recommendation of a long past friend, I read the book Karamojo Safari.
It's been so damned many years since I read it that my memory is not good,
but one of the things I recall is that Bell shot over 1,000 elephants,
almost always 1 shot kills, and with nothing larger than a 7 mm rifle.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. In the book, comments were made how
he would stand on the body of a fallen elephant to shoot another.

As Iggy said, I'm also against such slaughter, but it's interesting that
such a small weapon is so effective against such large game. Makes me
wonder why I needed the .458 Magnum Ackley built for me in the late 50's.

Harold

Ayup..those were far different days with a different outlook. Much of
what Bell shot went to the nearest starving village so it wasnt a
waste. Bell was also a superlative shot and could put that lil bullet
EXACTLY where he wanted it. Fred Bear killed a couple elephants with
a bow and arrow. One shot kills.

However..the key is to let the critters hold one, exactly in the right
place when they are not trying to stomp you into mush. Once you let em
get the wind up...all bets are off with dangerous game. Esicmos have
killed polar bears for years with 22mag and 22 hornet rifles for
years. But then...the bad shots..and the unlucky didnt make it
home..so they tended to be weeded out of the gene pool sooner or
later. Polar bears are one of the few animals that will actively hunt
you, while you are actively hunting them.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner