mm

Default Small Engine Ignition Module

On 1 Nov 2005 14:10:23 -0800, wrote:

I have a 14.5 hp Tecumseh engine on my riding lawn mower -- but no
spark at the plug. After tremendous amounts of troubleshooting I blame
the ignition module. Note: I've disconnected the grounding cutoff
wire, and there are no other wires on the module excpet for the spark
plug wire. My problem: with a spark tester connected to the spark plug
there is only a dim flash of light. However, when I connect the spark
tester directly to motor ground, there is a bright flash! I've changed
the plugs out several times. This sounds to me like the module is
producing a diminished output which is strong enough to light the spark
tester but not enough to fire across the spark plug. BUT....... I had
thought these modules were either totally GOOD or totally BAD, period.
Please, any comments? Am I overlooking something? Note: the magnets
on the flywheel seem quite strong. The air gap is perfect. HELP!!
Thanks.

Have you tried using a spark plug as a tester? Unscrew it from the
negine, connect it back to the wire, and have someone hold the metal
threaded part against the block, or use a wire with aligator clips on
each end.

IIUC, it's harder for the spark to jump the gap when the gas in the
cylinder is compressed, but not that much harder.

I don't trust your tester. How much did it cost, and what is the
essence of it,. I have an incredibly cheap one, with a flashlight
bulb or neon light in it, I forget. I think a test with the spark
plug is a better test.

I have 7 broken mowers this year, and two seem to need magneto coils.
But I'm not sure. When I had no mower, I would have eagerly spent the
money, but 2 or the 5 now work. Still, I can't throw the others away,
even though the original owners did. (They look new)

(I've given two to a repairman nearby.)

EW

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.